Tips for Removing Blackheads
Read Dr. Evans full article with the NY Post!
What are blackheads? Blackheads are a type of comedonal acne that usually effects the face, neck, back and chest (areas with many sebaceous glands). These small bumps are filled with keratin and sebum and are open to the surface of the skin producing a visually black effect
What causes blackheads? When a miniature hair follicle becomes blocked with dirt and sebum, the lining of the follicle become inflamed and a comedone forms
Is there a way to prevent blackheads? Keeping your skin clean and hydrated is helpful. Medications that control the oil production in your skin and encourage skin cells to turn over (become renewed) are very helpful.
Are there any ingredients to look for in skincare to help prevent and/or treat blackheads (salicylic acid, etc.) keratolyic agents such as salicylic acid, alpha and beta hydroxy acids , azelaic acid are helpful to prevent blackheads
What’s the best way to treat blackheads properly and safely? The best treatments for blackheads include a skincare regimen that contains a true retinoids such as tretinoin, tazeratene, or adapalene gel. Glycolic and AHA/ BHA peels can also be helpful. Lasers such as Clear and Brilliant and help with discoloration in the skin as well. Hydrafacials can really loosen sebum and remove it temporally.
What’s the difference between a blackhead and a whitehead? Both are forms of comedonal acne, whiteheads are closed to the skin and therefore appear white, blackheads are open to the skin allowing for some oxidation of the sebum and a visual effect of a black spot.
Blackhead Product Recommendations
- Best Blackhead Strips- Boire original deep cleansing pore strips.
- Best Blackhead Masks- Glam glow Supermud Clearing Treatment at Sephora- uses BHA and salicylic acid to help unclog pores. Biore Warming Clay Charcoal Mask
- Best Blackhead Scrubs: Skin Medica AHA/ BHA scrub- the alpha hydroxy acids help to loosen and remove the stratum corneum and clean the excess oil off the skin.
- Best Skincare for Blackheads (please include 5 here, if possible)
- Retinoids: Tretinoin, tazeratene, adapalene. Herbivore Blue Tansy BHA and Enzyme Pore Refining Mask (available at Amazon) and Beneath Your Mask Illuminate Clarifying Skin Mask