Pre/Post Care Instructions for RF Microneedling
- It is critical to avoid extended sun exposure, tanning beds, and self-tanning for 2-4 weeks before and after treatment. Please plan your treatments accordingly. You may be turned away if you have had recent prolonged sun exposure (ie. Sunny vacation).
- Depending on your skin type, a pre-treatment cream may be recommended 2-4 weeks before treatment.
- Do not use any retinol products 3 days before treatment.
- IMPORTANT: If you have a history of cold sores or herpes simplex outbreaks, please inform your provider. Your laser treatment can temporarily flare the virus and your provider will prescribe an antiviral to prevent any outbreaks. You will start taking this medication the day before the treatment.
DAY OF TREATMENT
What To Expect
- Allow at least 2 hours for your appointment. We will apply topical numbing cream to the treatment areas. You will numb for 45 minutes. The laser treatment takes 20-30 minutes depending on how many areas you are getting treated.
- Your eyes will be covered with protective goggles during the treatment.
- You will feel some discomfort/pain localized within the treatment area with each pulse.
- You may experience redness and swelling, resembling a sunburn for 5-7 days.
- You may experience hyperpigmentation and scabbing of the skin over 2 weeks. This is normal. Your skin will slough off the old skin and reveal the new, rejuvenated skin underneath.
- It takes 7-14 days for your skin to fully heal from RF microneedling. Results are usually revealed around 4 weeks post-treatment. A series of 3-5 sessions is typically recommended for the best results.
What To Avoid
- No strenuous physical activity or exercise for at least 48 hours. No hot baths or showers for 48 hours. Avoid heavy perspiration and overheating the treatment area.
- No harsh products such as exfoliants, retinoids or hydroquinone for 2 weeks until skin is fully healed
- DO NOT PICK OR SCRATCH. Allow your skin to gently exfoliate with gentle washing.
- Avoid sun exposure for 2 weeks
What To Do
- Wash the treatment area with warm water and a gentle cleanser
- Pat dry. Hydrate with serums and thick moisturizers that promote collagen and elastin 3 times a day. We recommend the following serums and moisturizers
- Alastin Regenerating Skin Nectar
- SkinMedica TNS Advanced+ Serum
- Neocutis BioSerum
- SkinMedia TNS Ceramide Cream
- Neocutis BioCream
- Apply Aquaphor or Cerave Healing Ointment as needed for dry skin
- Apply SPF everyday
- Cover your treatment area with a hat or protective clothing for at least 2 weeks