Pre/Post Care Instructions for IPL Photorejuvenation/Resurfix
Before the treatment:
- Avoid sun exposure (apply sunscreen daily and avoid tanning) for 4-6 weeks before and after treatment.
- Do not apply self-tanners or spray tans for 4 weeks before treatment.
- Do not use any retinol or retinoid products 3 days before treatment.
- Tell your technician if you have a history of hyperpigmentation. Depending on your skin type a pigmentation treatment may be started 2-6 weeks prior to treatment.
- Notify the provider if you have any cosmetic tattooing on or near the area to be treated.
- Notify if you are on aspirin, ibuprofen, iron supplementation, anticoagulants, vitamin E, or herbal supplements such as gingko, garlic, ginseng, fish oil, vitamin E. We recommend avoiding these products for 2 weeks prior to your procedure unless your primary care provider has placed you on them for a medical condition.
- Avoid alcohol for 1 week.
- Come to your appointment with the treatment area cleanly washed without make-up.
- Inform your provider if you have or have had cold sores or herpes simplex outbreaks in the past. Your IPL treatment can temporarily flare the virus and your provider will supply a medication to prevent any outbreaks. You will start taking this medication the day before the treatment.
How to care for your skin after treatment:
Congratulations! You have taken the first step toward more healthy and radiant looking skin by having an IPL Photorejuvenation/Resurfix laser treatment. Now it is important to help your skin heal quickly and protect your skin investment.
Your “after treatment” skin care regimen is tailored to the treatment you received today. Follow the instructions as checked below:
- Immediately After Treatment. After laser treatments for photo-rejuvenation/Resurfix, it is common to have mild swelling, slight bruising and, or an increase or decrease of skin pigmentation at the site of the treated areas. These conditions usually resolve in one to three days. Properly caring for your skin after the treatment will improve your overall results. Please follow these instructions for as long as your skin feels sensitive. Apply ice packs if needed after treatment. Use TNS Ceramide cream or Elta Ceramide cream. You may also cleanse your face with a mild cleanser.
- First Few Days. Continue cleansing and moisturizing over the next few days. DO NOT scrub, rub, or use exfoliants. Keep clothing away from treated body parts as much as possible to avoid irritation.
- First Week of Healing. Keep treated area clean; avoid smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, excessive exercise, perspiring, swimming, or exposing skin to heat and sun.
- Skin Care Products. All of your skin care products should be non-irritating and non-clogging for the first week or so after an IPL photorejuvenation/Resurfix treatment.
- Scrubs, Toners, Glycolic Acid, and Retinols. Your skin will be sensitive for the first week or so after treatment. Do not use products that will cause irritation during this time. Do not use abrasive scrubs, toners, or products that contain glycolic acids or Retin A. Read the product labels.
- Sunscreen. It is very important that you use sunscreen to prevent sun damage to the skin. Sunscreen should offer broadband protection (UVA and UVB) and have a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or more. Once sloughing is complete, use sunscreen daily for at least 3 months after your last treatment. Apply sunscreen 20 minutes before going outside, and again, immediately before. Reapply sunscreen every 2 hours. If direct sun exposure is necessary, wear a hat and clothing that covers the treated area. Your practice of diligent sunscreen use may lower the risk of laser-induced hyperpigmentation (darkening).
- Moisturizer. Remember that peeling and/or flaking is normal during the healing process. Therefore, the moisturizer you use should be non-irritating and non-clogging, or else you could develop breakouts. During the healing period, your normal moisturizer may be too occlusive, so consider products from the brands listed above. Instead of using 2 separate products, use moisturizers that contain SPF30+. Reapply whenever your skin feels dry.
- Bleaching Creams. Discontinue use of your bleaching cream while your skin is tender. Restart your bleaching cream when skin is healed.
- Resume your normal skin care regimen after about a week when your skin has fully healed
- Abnormal Healing. If you notice any blisters, cuts, bruises, crusting/scabs, areas of raw skin, ulcerations, active bleeding, increased discomfort or pain, pigment changes (lighter or darker than usual complexion), or any other problems, please your provider us as soon as possible.
- Questions/Concerns. Post-treatment healing varies from patient to patient. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the office.
2100 Webster Street #305
San Francisco, CA 94118
Fax: (415) 202-1543
Tracy Evans, MD
Clarence Chu, PA-C
Krystal Shin, PA-C
Molly Matice, PA-C
770 Tamalpais Drive #403
Corte madera, CA 94925
Fax: (415) 924-2066