Pre/Post Care Instructions for Fraxel
Before the treatment:
- Avoid excessive (Hawaii/Cabo) sun exposure for at least 14 days prior to your treatment, as sun damaged skin is more sensitive to the laser and can lead to adverse effects. Apply sunscreen with SPF 30 or greater liberally to the entire face, neck, and chest if you will be outdoors in the 7 days prior to your treatment. Use sun protection (hats, clothing) in addition to the sunscreen.
- Inform your provider if you have or have had cold sores or herpes simplex outbreaks in the past. The Fraxel treatment can temporarily flare the virus and your provider will supply a medication to prevent any outbreaks. You will start taking this medication the day before the treatment.
How to care for your skin after treatment:
Congratulations! You have taken the first step toward more healthy and radiant looking skin by having a Fraxel® DUAL 1550/1927 laser treatment. Now it is important to help your skin heal quickly and protect your skin investment.
Your “after treatment” skin care regimen is tailored to the treatment you received today. Follow the instructions as checked below:
- Immediately After Treatment. Use TNS Ceramide cream or Elta Ceramide cream. You may also cleanse your face with a mild cleanser.
- First Few Days. Continue cleansing and moisturizing over the next few days. Once the sloughing starts, please allow your skin to heal and DO NOT scrub, rub, or use exfoliantes. Keep clothing away from treated body parts as much as possible to avoid irritation.
- First Week of Healing. Keep treated area clean; avoid smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, excessive exercise, perspiring, swimming, or exposing skin to heat and sun.
- Skin Care Products. All of your skin care products should be non-irritating and non-clogging for the first week or so after a Fraxel treatment.
- Scrubs, Toners, Glycolic Acid, and Retinols. Your skin will be sensitive for the first week or so after treatment. Do not use products that will cause irritation during this time. Do not use abrasive scrubs, toners, or products that contain glycolyic acids or Retin A. Read the product labels.
- Normal Skin Care Regimen. Once the sloughing is complete, you may resume your routine skin care and make-up products, as long as they are tolerable to you.
- Sunscreen. It is very important that you use sunscreen to prevent sun damage to the skin. Sunscreen should offer broadband protection (UVA and UVB) and have a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or more. Once sloughing is complete, use sunscreen daily for at least 3 months after your last treatment. Apply sunscreen 20 minutes before going outside, and again, immediately before. Reapply sunscreen every 2 hours. If direct sun exposure is necessary, wear a hat and clothing that covers the treated area. Your practice of diligent sunscreen use may lower the risk of laser-induced hyperpigmentation (darker color).
- Moisturizer. Remember that peeling and/or flaking is normal during the healing process. Therefore, the moisturizer you use should be non-irritating and non-clogging, or else you could develop breakouts. During the healing period, your normal moisturizer may be too occlusive, so consider products from the brands listed above. Instead of using 2 separate products, use moisturizers that contain SPF30+. Reapply whenever your skin feels dry.
- Bleaching Creams. Discontinue use of your bleaching cream while your skin is tender.
- Resume your normal skin care regimen when your skin has fully healed.
- Cold Sores. If you have a history of cold sores, ask your doctor about care
- Abnormal Healing. If you notice any blisters, cuts, bruises, crusting/scabs, areas of raw skin, ulcerations, active bleeding, increased discomfort or pain, pigment changes (lighter or darker than usual complexion), or any other problems, please contact us as soon as possible.
- Questions/Concerns. Post-treatment healing varies from patient to patient. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the office.
2100 Webster Street #305
San Francisco, CA 94118
Fax: (415) 202-1543
Tracy Evans, MD
Clarence Chu, PA-C
Krystal Shin, PA-C
Molly Matice, PA-C
770 Tamalpais Drive #403
Corte madera, CA 94925
Fax: (415) 924-2066