Pre/Post Care Instructions for Dermal Fillers
- Inform your provider if you have a history of Perioral Herpes to receive advice on antiviral therapy prior to treatment.
- Avoid dental work (including standard teeth cleaning) at least 2 weeks prior to treatment and one month following treatment. Avoid oral surgery at least 4 weeks prior to treatment and one month following treatment.
- 7 DAYS BEFORE treatment (to prevent bruising): Avoid blood thinning over-the-counter medications such as Aspirin, Motrin, Ibuprofen, and Aleve. Also avoid herbal supplements, such as Garlic, Vitamin E, Ginkgo Biloba, St. John’s Wort, and Omega-3 capsules. Please note: If you have a cardiovascular history, please check with your doctor prior to stopping use of Aspirin.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages 24 hours before (or after) your treatment to avoid extra bruising.
- Do not use Dermal Fillers if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, are allergic to any of its ingredients, or suffer from any neurological disorders. Please inform your provider if you have any questions about this prior to the treatment.
Day of Treatment
- Arrive to the office with a “clean face”. Please do not wear makeup. You may bring your own makeup to apply after your treatment.
- To maximize your comfort during the procedure, a topical anesthetic may be applied. In some cases, a local numbing medication will be injected into or around the area(s) to be treated.
- You may experience a mild amount of tenderness or a stinging sensation following injection.
- To ensure a smooth and even correction, your provider may massage the area(s) treated, which may cause a temporary, minimal amount of redness to your skin.
Immediately After Treatment
- Redness and swelling are normal. Bruising may also be visible.
- You may experience some tenderness at the treatment site(s) that can last for a few hours or a few days.
- Depending upon the area(s) treated and product(s) used, you may feel “firmness” in the treated area(s) for 1 to 2 weeks after treatment. Over time, the area(s) will soften and “settle”.
- Apply an ice or cold gel pack to the area(s) treated (avoiding pressure) as this helps reduce swelling and the potential for bruising.
- Once you have adequately cooled/iced the area(s) as instructed and any pinpoint bleeding from the injection site(s) has subsided, you may begin wearing makeup.
- Avoid placing excessive pressure on the treated area(s) for the first few hours and up to 2 to 3 days; when cleansing your face or applying makeup, be very gentle.
- Avoid sleeping on your face or laying on your side. If you need help avoiding this try placing rolled towels or pillows at both of your sides to prevent turning in your sleep. If you wake up on your side or stomach, simply turn over.
- Avoid exercise or strenuous activities for the remainder of the treatment day; you may resume other normal activities/routines immediately.
- You may take Acetaminophen/Tylenol if you experience any mild tenderness or discomfort.
- Avoid extended UV exposure until any redness/swelling has subsided. Be sure to apply an SPF 30 or higher sunscreen.
- Wait a minimum of four weeks (or as directed by your provider) before receiving any intensive skin care or laser treatments.
- If you experience significant bruising following your treatment, we can offer a laser treatment to help decrease the amount of time that the bruise is present.
- Untreated bruising will generally fade in 5 to 14 days.
Call the office if you have questions or concerns.
2100 Webster Street #305
San Francisco, CA 94118
Fax: (415) 202-1543
Tracy Evans, MD
Clarence Chu, PA-C
Krystal Shin, PA-C
Molly Matice, PA-C
770 Tamalpais Drive #403
Corte madera, CA 94925
Fax: (415) 924-2066