Pre/Post Care Instructions for Clear + Brilliant
Before the treatment:
- Avoid excessive sun exposure for at least 7 days prior to your treatment, as sun damaged skin is more sensitive to the laser and can lead to adverse effects. Apply sunscreen with SPF 30 or greater liberally to the entire face, neck, and chest if you will be outdoors in the 7 days prior to your treatment. Use sun protection (hats, clothing) in addition to the sunscreen.
- Use gentle skin care products and avoid exfoliative devices or products 7 days prior to the treatment. Stop all Retinol products 7 days prior to the treatment as well.
- Inform your provider if you have or have had cold sores or herpes simplex outbreaks in the past. The treatment can temporarily flare the virus and your provider will supply a medication to prevent any outbreaks. You will start taking this medication the day before the treatment.
What to expect after the treatment:
Clear and Brilliant® Laser Treatment produces side effects. The intensity and duration of your side effects depends on the treatment aggressiveness and your individual healing characteristics. Generally, patients who are treated more aggressively experience more intense and longer lasting side effects; however, some patients who receive a less aggressive treatment may experience side effects of greater-than- expected magnitude, while others receiving more aggressive treatments may experience side effects of less-than-expected magnitude. Notify your physician if the severity of your side effects becomes a problem for you.
What you may feel and look like:
- Immediately after the treatment, you will experience redness and occasionally swelling. You will notice most of the swelling on the first morning after treatment, particularly under the eyes. Swelling usually lasts one to two days. To minimize swelling do the following:
- Apply cold compresses to the treatment area for 10 minutes of every hour on the day of treatment, until you go to bed.
- Sleep elevated the first night. Use as many pillows as you can tolerate.
- You may also notice that your skin appears bronzed or little dark dots will appear on the treated area. Your skin may feel dry, peel, or flake. You may notice a “sandpaper” texture a few days after treatment. This is the treated tissue working its way out of your body as new fresh skin is regenerated.
- Some patients have also experienced itching.
How to care for your skin after treatment:
Congratulations! You have taken the first step toward more healthy and radiant looking skin by having a nd Brilliant® laser treatment. Now it is important to help your skin heal quickly and protect your skin
2100 Webster Street #305
San Francisco, CA 94118
Fax: (415) 202-1543
Tracy Evans, MD
Clarence Chu, PA-C
Krystal Shin, PA-C
Molly Matice, PA-C
770 Tamalpais Drive #403
Corte madera, CA 94925
Fax: (415) 924-2066